Welcome to Ingatestone Hall
"Sir William hath at his own great costs and charges erected and builded a new house, very fair, large and stately, made of brick and embattl'd."
So, in 1566, wrote Thomas Larke, surveyor to Sir William Petre, about Ingatestone Hall, the new house that Sir William had built twenty-five years earlier in the midst of his Essex estates. Since then, the house has passed through the hands of fifteen generations of the Petre family who continue to own and occupy it today.
The Hall stands in open countryside, one mile from the village of Ingatestone and substantially retains its original Tudor form and appearance with its mullioned windows, high chimneys, crow-step gables and oak-panelled rooms and is surrounded by ten acres of enclosed gardens comprising extensive lawns, walled garden and stew pond.
The Hall remains primarily a private family residence - and, no doubt because of this, many visitors have commented on its friendly, welcoming atmosphere - but, since 1992, the family have made the house and grounds available for a wide variety of purposes:
On specified days during the summer months, visitors are welcome to spend a couple of hours or more exploring the house and grounds. Guided tours for parties are available by prior arrangement at other times.
For more details, see Visitor Information.
- Facilities are available for educational visits by school parties.
For more details, see Education at Ingatestone Hall.
- The public rooms and grounds may be hired for a wide variety of public or private events including receptions & dinners, lectures & seminars, concerts and plays, trade promotions & corporate events, garden parties, fairs & exhibitions and film locations.
For more information, see Hiring Ingatestone Hall.